free counters

Sunday, February 14, 2010

THE WOLFMAN 2010


When I first heard about this film my initial reaction was...
Bleh!
See, here's the thing. I can't stand Benicio Del Toro. Everything I have seen him in I have not liked. I may have liked the movies just not him.
With The Wolfman this has changed. The movie has such a wonderful, lush, Gothic feel to it. They knew they were dealing with a pretty basic story and the film is under two hours. This is a good thing. The movie didn;t need to be any longer than this. Emily Blunt was fantastic and if Anthony Hopkins can manage to get into versions of Frankenstein, The Mummy and Creature Of The Black Lagoon he will have completed the Universal Monsters marathon.
I think that Del Toro was good for a couple of reasons;
First, watch The Wolfman, the original and then this. del Toro looks and behaves like Lon Chaney Jr. It is mind boggling how he manages to immerse himself in such an iconic role.
That being said I have a single complaint that is kind of a spoiler so shut your eyes if you don't want to see it.
Did we need the other werewolf to be his father? In the orginal the wolf that brought the curse to Lawrence Talbot was no more than a plot device to get the story moving.
I did like that they credited Curt Siodmak and used his little poem at the beginning.
In the end this is a worthy successor to the original and gives me hope that Benicio del Toro will prove me wrong again. His role in this film was magnificent.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin