free counters

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto (2009)



I finally got around to watching this. As of this review I've watched it twice and I'll probably watch it again. Now, with that being said, here's the skinny:
I am not a Rob Zombie fan. I mean his music is alright and all and while I thought that House Of A 1000 Corpses was waaay too derivative, The Devil's Rejects wasn't bad. I refuse to watch the blasphemy that is the Halloween remakes so that left this flick.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for cartoons.
The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto is a mash up of old Universal flicks, Ralph Bakshi, masked wrestler movies and the madcap art stylings of a Ren & Stimpy cartoon gone horribly wrong. And for Ren & Stimpy that has to be pretty damned wrong.
There are werewolf nazis, zombie nazis, Hitler's head, Sleestacks, a rip off scene form Carrie, Paul Giamatti as Dr. Satan, the robot from the old Lugosi serial The Phantom Creeps and...well, I could go on forever, but I won't. Needless to say this thing has so much stuff going on in it that you have to watch it multiple times just to catch everything and then I'm pretty sure you'll still miss stuff.
The thing that makes me laugh everytime is the exchange between Velvet Von Black (Rosario Dawson) and Otto, the ape with a huge screw in his head (Tom Kenny). When these two share screen time I laugh out loud every time. The chemistry is amazing.
Watch this flick, you won't be sorry.
Here's a trailer:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin