free counters

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

THE HUMAN VAPOR (1960)



I haven't watched this in forever and when a subtitled, really gorgeous print made itself available to me I thought it would be fun to revisit.
Man, I couldn't have been more wrong.
Don't get me wrong the movie is great, but it's just so damned sad.
The lead fella is turned into the title character so he can survive the travels of space. He is able to become vapor at will. when he kills his creator he becomes obsessed with a dancer. He robs banks so that she can dance again. And I mean pretty, Japanese dancing not that go go, stripper kind of dancing.
When she realizes what he has done she decides to help the police destroy the Human Vapor. They pump the theater full of gas that, when ignited, will destroy him.
See, I thought they could use something like a high powered vacuum or freeze the vapor or something like that, but no alternative idea is even brought up in the movie.
I felt so sorry for the dancer. All she wanted was to do this ancient, beautiful dance, but she was funded by a madman who had fixated on her. Why? Yeah, we never get a real reason for that.
The movie itself is really good, but not your typical sci fi romp of the sixties.
If you're looking for something to fill that 60's Creature Feature vibe you might want to look somewhere else. I really like the movie, just not in that way.



AND NOW FOR AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!

It has been 25 years since I started Divine Exploitation in zine form. With that many years of reviews, interviews and mindless ramblings I felt it was time to start a book. So, this year be on the lookout for ...
DIVINE EXPLOITATION...THE BOOK!!

Should be fun.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin